The Bay State Bobcats Junior A Hockey Club is currently seeking Billet Families for the 2020-2021 season.
Players playing in the NA3HL come from all corners of the country and around the globe–last year alone the NA3HL boasted players from Canada, the Czech Republic, Sweden, and Slovakia, among others–and they play in Holyoke, MA for the season. Each visiting player needs a place to live during the season.
This is where billet families–or hosts–come in, performing the incredibly vital job of providing Bobcat hockey players with a place to live while these young men chase their dream of playing high level Junior Ice Hockey at the collegiate and professional levels.
Billet families invite Bobcat players into their homes to be a part of their family for seven to eight months out of the year. In turn the players, age 16-20, take part in many aspects of normal family life with their billets, from family meals to taking on active “big brother” roles at times with their younger billet brothers and sisters in their homes away from home.
The unique bonds your family will form with the player(s) you house will last a lifetime. It is not uncommon for players, years after their time in the league, to keep in close contact with their former billet family: keeping them informed of their collegiate, professional and family lives and, in many cases, even inviting their former billets to their weddings!
It is easy to become a billet family for the Bobcats, with a few requirements. The Team only asks that you provide a separate bedroom and daily meals for each player. Housing families are compensated $400 per player per month to cover grocery expenses. Players provide their own transportation. In compliance with NA3HL rules, all housing families must pass a criminal background check and multiple USA Hockey screenings.
Please help our players to become a part of your family while they pursue of playing hockey at the next level.
Interested in possibly becoming a Billet Family? Please contact Coach Langevin at NVWhockey@aol.com. Below are rules for Billet Families and Players staying at a Billet Home.
In addition to the following rules, Billet/Host Families may have additional rules that may apply:
- It is a privilege to stay with your host family. Be helpful, considerate, cooperative and thankful.
- Host families will be contacted on a regular basis to check on your progress in the home.
- Host family fee of $400.00 shall be paid by the 1st of each month or the player will be suspended until the arrears payment is made.
- Players are expected to be up at a reasonable time. They will make their bed and clean their room/other messes.
- Offer to assist with meals and clean up.
- Ask host families what chore(s) you can do daily/weekly.
- Players do their own laundry unless other arrangements have been made. Ask for directions prior to using facilities.
- Players are responsible for their own personal care and hygiene supplies such as toiletries, shampoo, razors, shaving cream, toothbrush, toothpaste, towels, pillows, sheets, alarm clock, etc., details to be further discussed with host family.
- All long distance calls are to be made by personal cell phone or calling card. Host family does not pay for this expense.
- Any problems should be worked out between the player, player’s family and the host family.
- All players must be at their billet house before a pre-determined curfew.
- If the player is going to be late/staying at another player’s house, he must call the billet family to notify them of his plans.
- Players in a billet situation cannot enter into other lease arrangements with the host families for extra charge for utilities, rent, etc.
- Players and their families accept full responsibility for all actions of the player while staying with host families.